2 years natural hair anniversary

Hello friends, hope all is well with you.

January 25th marked two years since i decided to do away with the relaxers.ย By no means am i against anyone who wishes to relax their hair, this is a personal preference, a decision that has done a world of good to my hair.

Two years ago i got tired of transitioning so i decided to cut the relaxed hair off which was quite a substantial amount and embrace my natural, kinky, coily hair. I can’t say i wasn’t scared, but it was one of the best decisions i’ve ever made.

I’ve learned a great deal and i still am. Growing natural, healthy hair is a challenge which takes patience, dedication and lots of money (not really) that is if you’re a product junkie like myself haha. I said lots of money because i will purchase anything that says natural hair on the packaging, sometimes they work for my hair, sometimes they don’t. If they don’t work then i bin them without second thoughts. I’m getting better actually as i’ve found a few product lines that are amazing. You don’t need to spend a ton of money, i did so because i was trying to narrow down products that my hair loved and i think i’ve managed to find a few.

I’ve been obsessed with the Cantu and Cream of Nature line. I’ve been using these lines since i started my natural hair journey and i will continue to do so.

From the Cantu line my favourites are: The creamy hair lotion and the deep conditioning mask. From the Cream of Nature line: Their shampoos and conditioners, the hair milk and the strength and shine leave in conditioner. When i use gels i usually use the Eco- styler, and for oils i’m a big fan of coconut, Tea Tree and castor oil. Water is also a must in my routine.

Just to sum this up, i have had no regrets, i try to stay away from heat and dyes, i have been tempted but i haven’t yielded as yet.

If you’re transitioning, had the big chop or you’re thinking about going natural my advice to you is, take the time to learn what your hair likes and dislikes, be patient, do a lot of protective styling. Keep your hair moisturised, low manipulation is key also as you won’t be pulling and tugging your hair all the time. Trim your ends and remember to rock your hair with confidence!

img_4307

Love, Shaunz xo

Feel free to check out my video to hear more about my journey. Thank you and have a great day..

35 Comments

1. January 26, 2017 / 1:58 pm

Congrats chic on your anniversary ๐Ÿ™‚ you have a good length for 2 years being natural yayyy ๐Ÿ™‚

• January 26, 2017 / 3:18 pm

Aww thanks so much, you think so? yayyy xo

• January 26, 2017 / 4:21 pm

Well yea i would say so it’s a realistic length. So many factors affect our hair it’s just not a straightforward and simple road anymore but once it’s healthy, you got no problems you know you’re doing something right. lol ๐Ÿ™‚

• January 26, 2017 / 5:02 pm

Yes i totally agree. people get so frustrated when they expect their hair to be a certain length within a certain time or they see someone else with shoulder/ waist length hair. They need to realise that not everyones hair grow at the same pace and also it’s not always about what you put in your hair, it’s also what you eat and your overall lifestyle. As you said it isn’t a straight forward road! Health over length i say! xo

• January 26, 2017 / 7:10 pm

Yup your right. All round it’s hard to grow natural hair or better said retain length. Which is why it’s hard to find products and everything else following up to that. I can understand the frustration for some people though they do everything they think is right and still no results. But its always something cause most people are able to grow their hair to at least past their shoulders. If you can’t get that far then its either genetics or something else your doing that’s causing that problem. I have realized no matter how long you are natural is like it doesn’t matter cause you always find some better technique that your hair will like that will cause it to grow better. Is like why didnt i know this from before lol My hair would be longer by now but that’s just how growing natural hair is lol Its a struggle especially when you reach a certain length it just gets harder and at that length that’s the challenging part and we think it’s so hard now lol

• January 26, 2017 / 7:43 pm

Correct my friend. I’m just happy that it’s healthy to be honest…;) xo

2. January 26, 2017 / 5:24 pm

Woooooowww you are so beautiful and sexy Lady… โค๏ธ

• January 26, 2017 / 7:44 pm

Oh yea! ๐Ÿ™‚ xo

• January 26, 2017 / 7:53 pm

Well keep up the good work. Look forward to reading your other posts ๐Ÿ™‚

• January 27, 2017 / 2:40 am

Thank you, same here..:) xo

3. January 27, 2017 / 5:06 am

Happy 2 year anniversary! You’re hair is beautiful.

• January 29, 2017 / 8:41 pm

Thank you so much..xo

4. January 28, 2017 / 1:40 am

Congrats on your 2 year anniversary ! I’ve loved my natural hair since I got over society and did the big chop . It’s a true experience that I learn from daily !

• January 29, 2017 / 8:42 pm

Thank you very much. Indeed, they say never say never but i’m totally happy with my hair and i never (lol) wanna look back..xo

5. February 4, 2017 / 5:44 am

Beautiful! & congrats! I’m just 7 months into my journey I can’t wait until I’m that far along, but I am enjoying my twa and every step of the way๐Ÿ’•
    Cantu was the first line I tried, love it.

• February 4, 2017 / 12:22 pm

Thank you so much, i remember when i was 7 months in too and i said those very words, but time flew by so quickly, i’m now 2 years, wow! You’ll get there be patient and take care of your hair, good to know you’re enjoying it at the moment, you should! Yes same for me, it was one of my first product line and i’m still using it. Thanks for stopping by, best wishes..xo

• February 4, 2017 / 1:25 pm

Thanks๐Ÿ’• best wishes to you as well. I’ll be posting about my hair journey so far soon. Hope you can check it outโœจ

• February 4, 2017 / 7:46 pm

You’re welcome and i will..:) xo

• February 4, 2017 / 12:23 pm

xo ๐Ÿ™‚

6. May 31, 2017 / 3:51 pm

Hey Shaunz,

well done for the two year mark! I recently have been investing hair growth and natural remedies to do so and love it!

My best friend and I both use coconut oil to promote hair growth, she is black and her hair texture is very different to mine, in particular with coconut oil, her hair soaks it up and doesn’t look greasy afterwards, where as mine does because it doesn’t soak it up like hers does.

I find this really interesting, everyone is different when it comes to hair growth. Have you found specific differences to hair growth with your hair type? how have you tackled these?

My friend also struggles to find products in England specifically for her hair type, she currently uses caster oil and sings its praises, have you found this this to be a problem when looking for products? have you found there is a limited market for your hair type?

I have done a couple of blog posts about hair growth and using natural products and alternatives, if you want to check these out i’ll pop the link below!

Happy 2 year hair anniversary!

Em

• June 1, 2017 / 3:53 pm

Hello, thanks so much!
      Coconut oil is very good, it’s a staple in my haircare routine! My hair sometimes gets dry don’t know why that is, however Cantu is my saviour! I use their creamy hair lotion for moisturising my hair daily and it makes my hair soft and manageable.
      I’m of the belief that one should experiment with different products to see what actually works, as you mentioned everyone is different when it comes to hair growth, it also applies to healthy hair as well, trial and errors!
      Castor oil is meant to be very good too, i just don’t like the smell much, it’s particularly great for healthy edges.

I used to buy my products on Amazon but surprisingly Boots in the UK are now stocked up on Cantu, i was very thrilled to see that they are now catering for naturalistas.
      They do have other hair care lines but some i find a bit pricey like Mixed Chicks and Shea Moisture.
      I will be sure to check out your posts. Thank you very much for your input and for stopping by!

Shaunz x

7. blissfulbohemian17
    June 1, 2017 / 10:12 pm

Your confidence is inspiring! Thanks for being authentic and open, and thanks for sharing!

• June 3, 2017 / 12:44 pm

Thank you so very much! I truly appreciate hearing this. Thank you for your kind words ๐Ÿ™‚

• June 5, 2017 / 6:33 pm

Thank you girl, hayyyyy..#Teamnatural xo

8. June 8, 2017 / 6:03 am

Congrats on your 2 year natural hair anniversary; I myself just reached my two year mark and it is so empowering.

• June 8, 2017 / 3:42 pm

Thank you so much and congrats to you as well. It is a wonderful feeling. Here’s to many more years of lovely, healthy hair ๐Ÿ™‚ xo